Saturday, August 20, 2011

The End.

Kindergarten AM


Pre-K AM


Prepa A


Kindergarten PM

They were pretty much angels.

Prepa B



Pre-K PM

So that's the end. I know it's late. I don't think anyone still reads this, but it's closure for me. I had to at least put in a few pictures from the end of the year to fill like this online blog, journal of sorts, wasn't left hanging. The day before I left, I went to see the end of the prepa graduation practice. Miss Melissa let them all get up and swarm me. So I had about 50 kids come at me from all sides. As you can imagine, I fell over. Thankfully I was able to catch myself and avoid smushing any of the children. Haha. When it came time to say goodbye, I couldn't keep myself from crying a little. A few of the girls just kept hanging on my neck and telling me they loved me and kept asking if I was leaving and crying a little too. That night was kindergarten and pre-kindergarten graduation. I was so proud of all my little students! After graduation, we went home where Miss Myla had a little party for us. We enjoyed her delicious cooking for almost the last time (she made us breakfast the morning we left), and then went to finish packing. It didn't feel real that we would be leaving in the morning.

It was tough to say goodbye as we left our house, but saying goodbye at the airport was even worse. Both of my bags were over-weight, and there was no time to do anything other than pay the fees. If Kadian hadn't been there, I would have completely dissolved into a helpless crying puddle. Then we had to stand in line for over an hour to pay the exit tax. Many people were grumpy, I think airports can really bring out the worst in people. After paying the exit tax, Kadian and I ran to hug the twins. We didn't even have time for a proper goodbye, because both of our planes were leaving. We dashed upstairs. As we were standing in line, Kadian prayed a short prayer, and the next thing we knew I was being asked to follow an attendant to my plane. I turned to Kadian to give her a quick and tearful hug, and then ran for my plane. Security had to use the metal detector on me (due to my hair clip) AND search my bag (as if I wasn't already late enough). When I got to the plane, I was literally the last person to board. I walked down the crowded row, with my carry-on, backpack, purse, and stuffed pillow trying to avoid collisions with arm rests and people. My window seat had been claimed by someone who probably figured I wasn't going to make it. So I plopped down in the middle and tried to breathe. I never expected leaving to feel so sad. I wasn't even excited about going home. The airport experience had been nothing short of traumatic, and my heart was in turmoil.

When I arrived in Houston, I couldn't get over how fast America is. And how big and clean and well, different. Thankfully I had a phone card. I was able to talk to Steven for quite a while, and also let my parents know what was going on. When my plane left, I still wasn't feeling the excitement. However, an hour outside of Omaha, it hit. The guys I was sitting next to were both former baseball players going to the World Series. They were really nice and helped keep me calm (well as calm as I could've been). When I walked into the Omaha airport, Becky, Mari, and Sharyn were there waiting for me. I dropped my stuff and gave them all big hugs. They picked up all my stuff, and I asked about my family. They didn't know. So we headed downstairs, where I saw Steven Shafer. My boyfriend. :). Then I saw my parents and started crying, because I didn't think they would come.

The summer has basically flown by in a blur, and part of me wishes I was heading back to Maranatha instead of college registration on Monday. Yet, I am happy to be reunited with all of my loved ones here, and I need to get going on those five years of school left. I think part of the difficulty in coming back has been all of the seemingly BIG obstacles--tuition costs, lack of job, lack of car, adjusting to life at home. My balance has been all thrown, and I'm still struggling to get it back.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Emily. Your experience has left me speechless. I miss seeing your face, and wish I could just hug you and tell you welcome home. In October I will be visiting the great ol Nebraska. And I hope to see you. You are such an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete