Thursday, August 26, 2010

Highs & Lows

18 August, 2010
Yesterday night during my first baleada feast, my friend Emily B. explained something she likes to do each day. Entitled “Highs & Lows”, each person tells the highest and lowest part of their day. Emily went on to say that she wished it could start with the low and end with the high, but it just doesn’t sound as good. I think optimism is a good note to end on so I’ll start with the low and just switch it around.
Low point of the day: well Becky, and all other concerned people reading this, I’m sorry ahead of time. The day started out with my first meal at home—conflakes, Silk, and a glass of water (which is purified here, so I’m still a water princess). At school I looked through the first grade books that I might be using. Then I wrote out big numbers, 1-10, on construction paper. After that I tried napping on the desk for a while and thought of high school. Pastor Trundle told me I could leave after lunch so around noon I check with Miss Myla and headed off towards home. Unfortunately, after only being her a day and a half, my sense of direction was not so great. I turned a couple blocks too early into an unfamiliar neighborhood. Fear not. I got back out to the main road safely and went back to school after a ten or so minute walk. I wasn’t exactly lost, I just didn’t know how to get home. I quickly got directions from a concerned Miss Myla gave me directions as I assured her I could find it. I did J. So really, my low point ended on a good note. Later today a pigeon pooped on my arm. That might be a better low point, but it seemed like less of a big deal.
High point of the day: As I was busily scrubbing the kitchen and further ruining my short nails, the sound I had been anxiously awaiting finally came. A vehicle stopped outside my house. I hear Pastor Trundle and other voices and rushed out. My first two roommates had arrived from Jamaica with cheerful smiles that were such sunshine on my day! Darcia and Dawnelle are twins. They have graduated from college, and both wanted to do something very different from their business type jobs for a year. We went out for baleadas for supper J and chatted the whole time. I am so happy that I’m not alone in the house anymore. I think we’re going to get alone great. Our last roommate is coming from England (she is Jamaican too though) on Monday. We are going to have such a fun mix of cultures in our house. I can’t wait to learn how to cook Jamaican and Honduran foods! We are going to go grocery shopping and try to look into getting wi-fi for our house tomorrow. We also need to order gas so we can use our stove. It’s starting to feel a little bit more like home.

No comments:

Post a Comment