Sunday, October 24, 2010

Coconut Banana Cream Pancakes

Here is my slightly modified recipe:

Coconut Banana Cream Pancakes
(For four people, we always double this recipe)

  • 1 1/2 cup flour (any kind really)
  • 1 Tbsp + 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • A pinch of nutmeg (or more, if you like)
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 1 1/2c coconut milk (The actual recipe calls for light coconut milk. I just use a 50/50 mix of canned coconut milk and soymilk, but you could use cow's milk instead of soy)
  • 1 ripe banana (or more!)
  • 1 tsp vanilla

Instructions: Mix all dry ingredients together in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, mash banana(s). If you don't like chunks of fruit in your pancakes, you can blend all the wet ingredients together. Otherwise, mash the bananas to desired the desired size, mix with milk and vanilla. If the bananas aren't overripe, I sometimes add 1 Tbsp of sugar, but it is not necessary. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ones. Mix until combined, avoid over stirring. Cook in a non-stick or lightly oiled pan. To keep them warm, I store them in a covered pot. This may lack glamor, but it is very effective! :)

We like to enjoy ours topped with a coconut lime glaze, sliced bananas, and coconut flakes. I can't give you a recipe for the glaze since I never follow one, but here are the ingredients I usually use:

  • Fresh-squeezed lime juice (you could you bottled)
  • whatever coconut milk I have left over from the pancakes
  • some arrowroot for thickening (you could use cornstarch)
  • powdered sugar to sweeten a little
It turns out different every time. I actually first made this recipe when we were out of cereal and milk and didn't have anything else to eat for a Sabbath morning breakfast :). So, it's okay to make variations. The first time I just used coconut milk and some water, because we didn't have any soymilk. If you want to see the actual recipe, check out this sweet vegan blog: http://blissfullyvegan.wordpress.com/2010/07/14/banana-cream-pancakes/


5 comments:

  1. mrs. Novak muy mal!!

    Quien llevar wl bolo fuara tü arcoiris
    -Cody

    grandes elefantes morados son tan grandes y de color morado y también LINDO!
    -Ariel

    Papá Noel está muy redonda y regordeta.
    -McKenzie

    Mírame hasta en Facebook!
    -Seth Fitzke

    Hey you, I'm subbing in Spanish today and thought it would be fun for the kids to write to you! I hope that you can read what they typed because I sure can't!

    These comments were from my first period 2nd year students.
    I'll send each classes as a separate post!
    Love ya, Aunt Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. !Me gusta mi muy muy muchas gatos grande en mi pantelones!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Em, I hope you don't mind I had a few kids post, I tried to get more but the third period class had 27 kids and I just didn't want the turmoil that it might have caused to get off topic. I did learn some stuff. Such as that de moda has something to do with style and apretadas is tight. The assignment was about shopping. I hope you get our letter soon. I am anxious to know if I am mailing everything correctly. Love us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the recipe! Heading to the kitchen now!

    ReplyDelete