Sunday, November 7, 2010

News from mi Novio :)

We are happy people--but we're happiest when we're together.
Now I'm sure you are dying to hear about the before mentioned letters from my darling Steven. Yes? I thought so :).Steven is on the little island of Woja located in the Mashall Islands. The island has electricity for the most part, but no telephones or internet; thus, our only communication is brought back to the ways of ole--pen and paper. Here is a short little update on how he is doing:


He wrote that he really likes Woja. He has a beautiful white beach right next to his house, and he mentions snorkeling in such a casual manner. No big deal when it's so easily accessible I suppose lol. His house is made of wood and sort of resembles a cabin. Everything gets wet when it rains.

His roommate is a Filipino Bible worker named Elmer. Thank goodness--he cooks. So I don't have to worry about Steven starving even if he is sick of rice. He says he usually eats rice for three meals a day, except when he gets to eat oatmeal for breakfast. But the oatmeal is running low, so that means more rice. Poor guy. Honestly I'm just happy that he has enough to eat :). Steven really misses all kinds of American foods, especially bread, cereal, and burritos. Once the boxes his mom has sent get to him, I'm sure he will be feeling much better about the food situation. He says that he loves peanut butter because it reminds him of home.

Aside from food, Steven also misses church. There isn't an actual Seventh-day Adventist church building on Woja, so they meet at the school. Very few people attend, but Elmer has been having lots of Bible studies, and they are hopeful for more members. They have had more members in the past, but the problem is that they are often students that end up going away to Majuro for school. It's also tough, because they value the social aspect of church more than truth.

One day when Steven was going through books at the school, he found a picture that said "Yoslynn & Heather" underneath it. He remembered that I had been friends with a Yoslynn from the Marshall islands and asked a local about her and if she had been to America. She said yes and took Steven to Yoslynn's house. I can't believe they are on the same island! Yoslynn was one of my best friends. Ever. I have no doubt it would be just like old times if I saw her tomorrow. She showed Steven pictures of her and me when we were in 8th grade and said that she missed me. She is married now and has two kids! I'm so glad that I've gotten back in touch with her (I sent a little note to her in one of my letters to Steven. I'm even more glad that she is on the same island as Steven. I know that she will be a great friend for him this year.

He mentioned a few other people that he's become friends with. One is named Joran (pronounced Jerome?). He's an intelligent, funny, and nice middle-aged man that teaches 8th grade at the public school and speaks really good English. He is giving Steven Marshallese lessons. Another one of his friends is named Jabon (pronounced Saban). She is his next door neighbor that has helped him learn some Marshallese and meet more of the locals.

His class is pretty small since he got to Woja so late. Most of the kids ended up going to public school. He has Georgeston and Charlynn in 4th grade, Ramiel and Kyle in 5th, Yomi in 6th, and Matthew in 7th. The 4th and 5th graders can't really read English very well, and he isn't so sure about the 6th grader either. Quite the challenge when you have 4 different levels to be teaching. School starts at 8:15am beginning with Bible, math, recess, a language arts class, social studies or science, and then art or music. The day always ends with p.e. and often with after school detention (which he thinks is more of a punishment for him than the kids). They have to stay for 45 minutes, and he makes them write "I will not break the rules tomorrow" many, many times. After school he relaxes, spends time with the locals, works on things for class, and hangs out with Elmer. He says they usually go jogging, talk eat, and watch documentaries, which I think is really cute. lol.

Overall, he sounds like he is doing great! He really does :). Everything I was hoping to hear, he wrote--only it was even better. Keep him in your prayers. The last letter was dated October 3rd, and I know that another one has reached his parents and is on its way to me. I really hope he has gotten mail by now, because last I heard his mail was still sitting in Majuro. I never expected that I would have to wait so long to get the first letter. But as I mentioned in the previous entry, God's timing is perfect.

2 comments:

  1. It was good to hear how Steven is doing! I know Elmer from when I was on Ebeye. He was on a break from the island of Namu at the time. He is a great guy. I'm glad Steven has him around on Woja. This reminds me so much of being a SM!
    I hope you both have a great rest of your time overseas. It can be really hard sometimes, but God is always there to help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the post!...its good to hear that "my" kids are in good hands with steven....i miss them so much! ....
    woja is awesome and i can't wait to go back there one day :)

    ReplyDelete