Friday, May 6, 2011

Mother's Day Program

May 5: Today we celebrated "El Dia de Madre" (Mother's Day) with an evening program at school. Programs are a lot different now that I'm a teacher. I used to really look forward to them as a elementary student. However, now most of us have the attitude of "Reallllly? I have to go back?" But here's my secret (although I know my face gives it away every time)--as soon as I see my first student, there is no place I would rather be. I just gush and exclaim over each one of their precious little faces. I love seeing them in their real clothes instead of uniforms. And outside of the "it's school and you need to sit down and learn" world. And seeing them just a couple at a time instead of being overwhelmed by how many small children are in my care. Oh, and as a side note, I also love the fact that I have a reason to get a little dolled up. My normal days go like this: unflattering school uniform most the day, come home and change into gym clothes, get home from gym, shower and change into pajamas. I miss dressing up.

The program started off (late, of course) with a bang--no light except two tiki torches in front of the stage with a live mariachi band and the tenth graders singing to their moms. Cute huh? Then they gave all their moms roses. The first graders sang a really sweet song which said something to the effect of "Everything is beautiful in home, when Mom is there". But nothing was as dear to my heart as my little prepa students singing "He's Got the Whole World". They were so adorable! I gave them a little pep talk before and walked around with the mic for each one to get their time in the spotlight. Miss Ester told me that their English pronunciation was great! I have to agree.

My dear Fernando. He's the sweetest.

The grand aforementioned opening.

Miss Effie and the first graders (this isn't nearly all of the them, but you know how attendance is when it's not required..)

Miss Ondina (kinder assistant) * me * Miss Rosita (pre-k assistant). These ladies are awesome!

Carolina, Emily, and Natalie Maria
The pep talk.

Soon I was in their faces with the mic, it wasn't doing any good from back there.

They were SO precious. You should have been there.

This was such a proud teacher moment for me. The boy singing into the mic is normally so quiet and a little shy, but he sang clearly, loudly, and with enthusiasm. I was beaming!

Awwww

Emily found me during the program with her mom's camera to take a picture with me. I had to get one on my camera too.

Estephania, one of the girls from the Hogar, sat with me for some of the program.

Emily and Ale--aren't my students just the most beautiful ones you've ever seen? I'm sure all teachers must feel this way.

No comments:

Post a Comment