Sunday, April 24, 2011

Oh Semana Santa. I thought you'd never come.

Miss Myla and I got off school early on Friday to rush around packing and doing last minute errands. I met Kadian when school got out, and we hurried to Mendel's to look for "Roatan" clothes. I ended up getting a cute cover-up thing to wear to the beach. After that, we quickly got back to the house to finish our final packing. Soon after Miss Myla was over to say that she had sent the taxi with the kids (Brittney, Karen, James, & Christian), and it would return for us shortly. Once we got to the side of the road where we needed to find a taxi, there was already a chicken bus headed for Sigua there. Miss Myla checked for seats and then told us all to hurry up and get in. There was this awful and extremely realistic Honduran drama playing on the bus the whole way there. Once we got to Siqua, we bought our tickets for La Ceiba. I decided that I chips and snacks weren't going to cut it--I needed real food. I went into the restaurant with Christian and we both ended up getting meals. Our waiter mistook us for a married couple, because we walked in with James (Karen's little boy). haha. I told him, no, Christian is my brother. And then yes, I DO have a boyfriend. Still, we got free tres leches cake "On the house", because I'm a pretty cowgirl :). We got a super old bus without AC for the long ride to La Ceiba. Miss Myla said it was like a jail. We all dozed on and off and reached La Ceiba sometime before midnight. This is a picture of Brittney in the truck on our way to Miss Myla's house in La Ceiba.

It was so nice to be back in La Ceiba. I think in a little way in feels like my second home here in Honduras, because it's home for Miss Myla. This is us on our way to English Church! I enjoyed that church a lot the first time we went back in September, and I think I loved it even more this time. The people are friendly, and mostly it's just so nice to hear so much English. Most of the English speakers are originally from the islands, so they have awesome islander accents that I really love listening to. I never would have guessed before I came here that there were native Hondurans that preferred English to Spanish.

On the way back we saved on taxi by hopping into the back of Miss Myla's cousin's truck.

Biby and I

After church we went over to Miss Myla's cousin Katherine's house. It was so beautiful! Her family made us feel right at home, and her aunt had prepared a feast for our Sabbath lunch.

Rice, chicken, potato salad, corn, and drinks. Plus we had lots of banana bread, cinnamon rolls, and coconut bread.

Kadian and I both crashed after lunch. We slept for hours! They ended up leaving us there while they went to visit Miss Myla's mother's grave.
I felt a little bit like I had been transported back to America. There was AC, and electric stove...everything was so fancy.
And I was so comfy! I slept most of the time curled up on a small chair, but later I moved to the other couch.

That night we went to the mall and met everyone at Pizza Hut. Fitting everyone in the truck was quite a trick!

We we got back to the house, we all laid around, trying not to move too much due to the heat, and talked. Miss Myla gave me a bon bon :)

Then she really wanted me to put this bow on my head. lol Fun times.

Kadian got Kevin (Miss Myla's oldest son) to try on her cute new beach hat!

No comments:

Post a Comment