Saturday, March 5, 2011

Let's Face it, I Look Forward to Food.

This week was stellar, because preschool had exams. Now you see, the last time we had exams, I thought that I had to stay and help out in first grade anyway. But this time around I learned that I can leave early just like the other preschool teachers. Can you guess where part of my spare time went? Baking. I love baking. There's nothing like a nice batch of muffins to brighten your day. One day this week, Kadian and I made these ^ chocolate chocolate chip (vegan) muffins. The mini chocolate chips I got for Christmas were perfect!

Okay, this picture is a little random, and I can't think of a good caption for it. However, I figure some of you might like to see my face every once in a while, so here it is :).

Thursday, I made up a batch of banana muffins. They're actually quite healthy, but I couldn't resist sprinkling a little cinnamon & sugar to top it off. These muffins didn't even make it to see the morning. To me, that has to be one of the truest signs of success. Although it might have also had something to do with hunger.

On occasion, giant oxen stroll nonchalantly past our gate. Although this doesn't have anything to do with food (unless perhaps you are interested in eating an ox), I thought you should know. TIH--This is Honduras. Oh! I also made candy bar cookies on Friday, but I never got around to taking a picture of them. I had received so much chocolate (which is my weakness) for Valentine's Day that I had to find a way to get rid of it quickly.

And that brings us to this beautiful Sabbath morning. Towards the beginning of the year, I would often get up early every Sabbath morning and make pancakes. However, as the year progressed and my weekend bedtimes slipped later and later, I stopped. A few weeks ago I realized how badly staying up late on the weekends was affecting my sleep Sunday and Monday night, so I started trying to go to bed on time again. Thus, this morning I only slept in until 6:30 and headed straight to the kitchen to make our traditional coconut banana cream pancakes.

Last Sunday, Kadian and I found berries (I think black berries, although they look more like mulberries and taste like neither). So far I've managed to use my bag in smoothies. They taste absolutely dreadful--sour!--by themselves. Good new though--they are perfect for fruit sauce!

Nice 'n Thick

After church Kadian and I started on the runzas. If you have never heard of a runza before, you probably aren't from Nebraska. Nebraska has this fast food chain called Runza. I've never actually eaten one since I'm a vegetarian (except for occasionally when I'm not, here in Honduras). I think they originated in Germany (the food, not the restaurant). Anyway, my mom makes delicious homemade ones, and I wanted to give it a try.

Miss Myla pretty much saved the day since she kneaded the bread for about ten minutes for us.

The inside is generally just cabbage, meat, onion, salt, and pepper. Since we had left over cabbage from earlier in the week, we used that. Hence, the random red pepper.

Yummmm. Fresh from the oven--best time to enjoy them.

Taking one to share with Miss Myla

I am so happy they turned out well!
As you can see, food is pretty big around here. This isn't even getting into our suppers!

No comments:

Post a Comment