Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Puchika

We are told not open our gate except for when we absolutely have to. We are told not to walk alone unless we must. We are told to be home before dark. Don't wear shorts. Check to be sure that there isn't another male passenger in the taxi, they may abduct you. Hide your money. Don't carry a purse. Be aware of your surroundings. Walk on the street if there is more than one man standing on the sidewalk.  Oh, and don't ignore the men when they call you "preciosa" or "princesa" or something else, because they might think you are stuck up. Say "adios" to acknowledge them without striking up conversation. Never get too comfortable. I've even read that it's bad to make eye contact with people. But at the same time, we are told to embrace the culture, be friendly, and let Jesus shine through us. The Bible tells us we have not been given a spirit of fear. How do I balance this?

Often I find myself in the limbo of fear and trust. Fearful of men, but then reminding myself I trust in God. God is bigger. God is in control. All things work together for good with God. But sometimes that still means staying inside when I'd rather be out. Like today. I was going to go to the post office, then to the bank, then to the Hogar. Instead, I am stuck at home. A van from the Hogar was abducted today along with the driver. Everyone is shaken up about it. The windows are tinted and rumor has it that the criminals might have been hoping Americans were inside since so many come and go from the orphanage. I kind of feel like I was told that just to be sure I would stay home. Kadian called me just before I was about to head out the door.

No comments:

Post a Comment