Sunday, January 2, 2011

On Display

I am tired of having to stare intently at the ground every time I walk past a man.
It's best to avoid eye contact, because giving them any sign of recognition just brings more unwanted attention. Sometimes I am too cheerful or curious to care. On days like that, I'm usually reminded why I shouldn't make eye contact. However, no matter how hard I try to ignore them, the attention still comes.

"Preciosa"
"Mi amor"
"Estoy enamorado"
"Te amo"
"Venga"
The ever popular *muuah* smack of their lips.
They love to practice their English on us.
"Hello babyyy"
"Baby, I love you!"
"You're beautiful"

Sometimes they mean it in a nice way. For example, an older man calling me "preciosa" is probably a nice compliment. But most of the time it's impossible for me to tell if they are being polite or have less than honorable intentions. And the stares. The absolutely unashamed staring bothers me almost more than the words. It doesn't matter what I wear. At times I feel more like a piece of meat that they are eying than a person.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment